The Trump administration is reportedly considering the removal of H.R. McMaster as national security adviser according to multiple media outlets.
An NBC News report on Thursday stated White House Chief of Staff John Kelly and Secretary of Defense James Mattis favor McMaster’s removal.
Rumors McMaster is on his way out follows the sudden departure of White House Communications Director Hope Hicks, who announced her resignation Wednesday.
In a statement provided to the White House press pool, National Security Council spokesman Michael Anton slapped down rumors of McMaster’s imminent departure:
“I was just with President Trump and H.R. McMaster in the Oval Office. President Trump said that the NBC News story is ‘fake news,’ and told McMaster that he is doing a great job.”
Although Anton stopped short of denying McMaster was exiting the administration, Principal Deputy Press secretary Raj Shah said in a statement the White House had “no personnel changes” slated.
Shah added the administration frequently faces “rumor and innuendo about senior administration officials.”
On two occasions earlier in 2018, McMaster’s reported departure was announced by media sources. George W. Bush-era UN Ambassador John Bolton and Ford Motor Co. executive Stephen Biegun are two rumored replacements according to ABC News sources.
A career military officer, McMaster became national security adviser in February 2017 upon the resignation of Michael Flynn. Prior to his appointment, McMaster was the head of the Army Capabilities Integration Center.
A best-selling author, McMaster served in the first Gulf War and both wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
[ABC News] [NBC News] [Fox News] [The Hill] [Business Insider] [Reuters] [Photo courtesy AP/Susan Walsh via Washington Times]