Commission admits Trump’s mic malfunctioned at first presidential debate

Following the conclusion of the first of three presidential debates on Monday, Sept. 26, at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y., Republican presidential contender Donald Trump claimed victory despite struggling with a defective mic, which he claimed had been manipulated.

Trump told reporters his microphone was “terrible” and declared the volume on his equipment was lower than was on Clinton’s.

Trump later speculated to reporters that his faulty mic had been given to him “on purpose,” to which his Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton dismissed as a frivolous excuse.  “Anybody who complains about the microphone is not having a good night,” she said.

In point of fact, Mr. Trump was right:  The nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates admitted the Republican nominee’s mic was indeed defective.

In a statement released by the Commission and available on the group’s website, the debate board admitted to unidentified trouble with Trump’s device and acknowledged “there were issues regarding Donald Trump’s audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall.”

Vindicated, Trump responded on Twitter and in an email.

“I knew right from the beginning something was seriously wrong with my mic,” Trump wrote. “But with 100 million people expected to watch, there was no way I was going to stop the show. The bad mic was a far bigger problem than the event itself. I was forced to fight through it just like I’ll do for the country.”

Trump has paid the price for his widely-panned debate performance in national polls over the past week, as Hillary Clinton increased her lead over the New York businessman in a four-way race from 1.6 percent on Sept. 27 to 3.7 percent as of Tuesday.

 

[Daily Caller] [RealClear Politics] [Photo courtesy AP via New York Post]