Prosecutor withdraws charges against three Freddie Gray cops

Following the acquittal of Officers Edward Nero, Caesar Goodson and Lieutenant Brian Rice earlier this summer, Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby declined to pursue trials against three remaining police officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray.

Freddie Gray died on April 19, 2015, seven days after he suffered injuries during transport to a Baltimore police station.  His death while in police custody enveloped Baltimore in protests, rioting and looting.

The trial of Officer Garrett Miller was scheduled to begin Wednesday when prosecuting attorneys withdrew the charges against Miller, Officer William Porter and Sergeant Alicia White.

Officer Porter’s first trial in January resulted in a hung jury; his re-trial was expected to being this fall.

“It’s something that I’ve been grappling with for some time.  It’s not something that was overnight,” Mosby told the Baltimore Sun after dropping the charges.

Upon Mosby’s decision to drop the charges against the six officers, Circuit Judge Barry G. Williams, who presided over and acquitted Officers Nero, Goodson and Lt.Rice, lifted a gag order which had prevented all parties involved in the case from speaking in public.

Judge Williams had been critical of the prosecution throughout the trials of Rice, Goodson and Nero.

Although internal reviews for all six officers are ongoing, Baltimore Fraternal Order of Police president Lieutenant Gene Ryan said he expected all six officers to return to work.

Mosby still faces a lawsuit filed in May by Sergeant White and Officer Porter for defamation and invasion of privacy.  The two officers added malicious prosecution and false arrest in June.

 

[Baltimore Sun] [Daily Caller]