Update: Over 12 more women accuse Roger Ailes of sexual harassment

UPDATE – 7/10, 4:30 p.m. EST: According to Gretchen Carlson’s attorney, Ericka Smith, who filed a lawsuit Wednesday in New Jersey against Fox News executive Roger Ailes for sexual harassment, over a dozen women have contacted Smith, communicating similar accusations against Ailes.

The allegations date back to the mid-1960s when Ailes worked as a producer for the Mike Douglas Show, until 1989, shortly after Ailes helped George H.W. Bush win the presidential election as the campaign’s chief media strategist.

Six of the women told their personal stories to New York Magazine in an article published Saturday — three former models, two media employees and a Republican National Committee adviser.

 

Former Fox News host Gretchen Carlson has accused the company’s top executive Roger Ailes of sexual harassment.

Carlson claims her contract with the right-wing media company was not renewed after she refused Ailes’ sexual advances.

In a lawsuit filed on Wednesday in Bergen County, NJ, Superior Court, Carlson claims that Ailes “sabotaged her career after she refused his sexual advances and complained about severe and pervasive sexual harassment.”

“I think you and I should have had a sexual relationship a long time ago and then you’d be good and better and I’d be good and better,” the complaint says Ailes told Carlson last September when she complained to him. He allegedly added, “Sometimes problems are easier to solve that way.”

Carlson had been a former Miss America winner and a long-time co-host of Fox and Friends. Carlson’s suit also included Steve Doocy, one of her Fox and Friends co-hosts and claims that he too harassed her.

“I have strived to empower women and girls throughout my entire career,” Carlson said in a statement. “Although this was a difficult step to take, I had to stand up for myself and speak out for all women and the next generation of women in the workplace. I am extremely proud of my accomplishments at Fox News and for keeping our loyal viewers engaged and informed on events and news topics of the day.”

Fox denied all of Carlson’s allegations in a statement of their own.

“The Company has seen the allegations against Mr. Ailes and Mr. Doocy. We take these matters seriously. While we have full confidence in Mr. Ailes and Mr. Doocy, who have served the company brilliantly for over two decades, we have commenced an internal review of the matter,” the statement read.

For his part, Roger Ailes is calling the suit defamatory and a lie.

“Gretchen Carlson’s allegations are false. This is a retaliatory suit for the network’s decision not to renew her contract, which was due to the fact that her disappointingly low ratings were dragging down the afternoon lineup” Ailes’s statement said. “When Fox News did not commence any negotiations to renew her contract, Ms. Carlson became aware that her career with the network was likely over and conveniently began to pursue a lawsuit.”

 

[Washington Post] [Politico] [Photo courtesy crooksandliars.com]