Marco Rubio suspends his campaign for the White House

Florida Senator Marco Rubio failed to win his home state during Tuesday’s primaries and in his concession speech announced that he was suspending his campaign for the Republican nomination for president.

“After tonight it is clear that while we are on the right side this year we will not be on the winning side . . . Today my campaign is suspended,” Rubio said.

Rubio congratulated Trump on his win in Florida. Donald Trump won with approximately 45 percent of the vote, and Rubio was in a distant second at 27 percent.

As Florida is a winner take all state, Trump wins all 99 of the state’s delegates.

Rubio did take one more indirect shot at Trump before bowing out.

“The politics of resentment against other people will not just leave us a fractured party,” Rubio said, “they will leave us a fractured nation.”

On Monday night, Marco Rubio had already warned that the politics of Donald Trump will do nothing but harm to the Republican Party.

“If we’re going to be the party of fear, we’re going to spend some time in the wilderness,” Rubio said. “If we’re the party of fear, with a candidate who basically is trying to prey upon people’s fears to get them to vote for them, I think we’re going to pay a big price in November and beyond.”

He also shared his belief that a Trump presidency would be disastrous for America on the world’s stage.

“I think he’s already an embarrassment,” Rubio said. “People around the world are watching this debate and this campaign and wondering what’s happening here, because the things he says are nonsensical. When you’re the most powerful and important nation on earth, you’re not always going to be popular,” he added. “But the question is, are you respected? And I don’t think Donald Trump is going to be respected.”

 

[Mediaite] [The Guardian]