Here is our profile of former Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley.
- Born in Washington D.C. January 18, 1963.
- Graduated from the University of Maryland School of Law in 1988.
- Mayor of Baltimore 1999-2007.
- Governor of Maryland 2007-2015.
- Favors an all-payer system where the government intervenes to keep down hospital and other medical costs.
- Believes the Affordable Care Act will work.
- Wants to reinstate the Glass-Steagall Act to separate commercial and investment banks.
- Believes in mixing tax increases with spending cuts to create a budget surplus.
- Is opposed to the Trans-Pacific Partnership which would cut back trade barriers protecting domestic industries.
- Believes climate change is a serious threat.
- However, he also believes that fracking should be allowed with strict limitations.
- In favor of same-sex marriage.
- Favors allowing access to abortions.
- Opposed to the death-penalty.
- Supports rapprochement with Cuba.
- Opposes a nuclear armed Iran and came out in support of President Obama’s nuclear treaty.
- Favors a two-state solution between Palestine and Israel but support Israel’s right to defend itself.
- Has drawn fire from Black Americans, particularly those in Baltimore as a result of his tenure as mayor. Many blame him for deaths of those killed by police in Baltimore under his watch.
Who will vote for him?
With both Lincoln Chafee and Jim Webb out of the Democratic race for the nomination, O’Malley is the only third alternative to Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders.
On record as mayor of Baltimore