The Hill Talk is giving a quick rundown of each Republican candidate in advance of the first primary debate on Thursday, August 6.
Here is our profile of Donald Trump.
Written by Caia Caldwell & Michael Bernard
- Born in Queens, New York.
- 69 years old.
Has been an important and influential donor to politicians in both parties for over 20 years.
First considered running for President in 1995.
Does The Apprentice count?
Positions on the issues
- Trump does not like ObamaCare and promises to replace it with “something terrific.”
- According to The Hill, Trump believes healthcare “should rely on private health plans that are largely unregulated by the government.”
- The economy has been one of Trump’s favorite talking points.
- Believes in Free Trade, but wants to renegotiate all existing Free Trade agreements to achieve better conditions for the USA.
- Wants to repatriate manufacturing and service sector jobs that have been offshored by creating punitive tax/tariff regimes targeting companies that have laid off American workers.
- Believes in “Big Project Initiatives” such as building the Border Fence, revamping infrastructure projects, and revitalizing public spaces as a means of putting more Americans to work.
- He has declared “I will be the greatest jobs president that God ever created” but has few specifics on how exactly he is going to “Make America Great Again!”
- The Washington Post notes that Trump has labeled global warming “a total hoax.”
- Trump does not believe climate change is caused by humans.
- If Trump became president he vows to deport all illegal immigrants.
- In an interview with CNN reporter Dana Bash, Trump said he would then let the “good ones” come back to the U.S. to work, but not as legal citizens.
- This is one of the least controversial things Trump has said regarding immigration (See “relevant scandals”).
- Surprisingly, Trump has not been particularly vocal about gay marriage.
- His views on abortion have shifted to pro-life, reports NJ Advance Media.
- He said he was once pro-abortion rights but is now anti-abortion, noting that his view changed after a friend came close to having an abortion but ended up keeping the baby.
- Too many to count.
- Trump faced backlash over his categorization of Mexican immigrants as “rapists.”
- He also received wide media attention after he mocked John McCain’s military service.
- He is currently under scrutiny after allegedly told a breastfeeding mom “you’re disgusting”, according to CNN.
- The media’s going to milk this one for all it’s worth.
Who will vote for him?
People who like Trucker hats. Also, currently the majority of Republican voters (!!!).
On personal business record