The Hill Talk is giving a quick rundown of each Republican candidate in advance of the first primary debate on Thursday, August 6.
Here is our profile of Dr. Ben Carson.
- Born in Detroit, Michigan on September 18, 1951.
- Was the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins children Center for 29 years.
- B.A. degree from Yale University
- M.D. from University of Michigan.
- Author of eight books.
None. Dr. Carson has actually never ran for an elected office. In fact, he only recently gained steam as a political force when he appeared to criticize the Obama administration during a 2013 National Prayer Breakfast. However, he does not really see this as an issue. He explained on Charlie Rose why he would still make a good president.
“It requires an enormous amount of knowledge, for instance, to become a neurosurgeon. Not the kind of knowledge you can acquire in a year or two years or three years or four years or even five years. That is not true of politics. A lot of people want it to believe that is true, but it is not true.”
Positions on the issues:
- He would like to repeal the Affordable Care Act and called it “the worst thing since slavery“.
- Instead plans to build patient and physician relationships.
- Strongly believes in vaccines.
- He believes Health Savings Accounts (HSA) will drive down costs and empower consumers.
- Is highly critical of unions as promoting self-interest often to negative effect to future generations.
- Wants to eradicate poverty by providing education opportunities and require people to work.
- Wants to make tax-code business friendly to bring jobs back to America.
- Does not believe in climate change, calls it irrelevant.
- Believes there is always either cooling or warming.
- Would like to create a guest worker program similar to Canada’s.
- Is an advocate for securing our borders.
- Would increase penalties on employers guilty of breaking immigration law.
- Wants education policy to revert to teachers, parents, and principals.
- Would repeal the Common Core.
- Sees marijuana as a medical tool, and not recreation.
- Supports gun ownership as a fundamental right, but wants to keep guns out of the hands of the violent and mentally ill.
- Wants to get rid of the IRS.
- Would close any corporate loopholes and stop sheltering the poor from paying taxes.
- Hopes to ratify a balanced budget Amendment to the Constitution.
- Feels that Russia is a threat to peace and a destabilizing force in the Middle East.
- Wants to make America independent from foreign energy.
- Sees Israel as a critical ally.
- Would commit to eradicating ISIL.
- He believes we are on the same destructive path as Ancient Rome and would make sure we do not overextend our foreign involvement.
- 2012 book America the Beautiful was reported to have large plagiarized sections.
- Called Veterans Affairs scandal a “Gift from God,” as he believes it shows that Obamacare does not work in practice.
Who will vote for him?
Tea Partiers, flat-tax advocates, opponents of abortion, 2nd Amendment supporters, the religious right.
On foreign policy prowess