The Hill Talk is giving a quick rundown of each Republican candidate in advance of the first primary debate on Thursday, August 6.
Here is our profile of U.S. Senator Ted Cruz.
- Born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada on December 22, 1970.
- 44 years old. Married to the former Heidi Nelson; the couple have two children.
- Cruz holds an undergraduate degree from Princeton University in Public Policy and a J.D. from Harvard University.
- Clerked for former federal appellate judge J. Michael Luttig and later for the late Chief Justice, William H. Rehnquist.
- Joined the campaign of former president George W. Bush as an advisor on domestic policy.
- Involved in the legal case, Bush v. Gore.
- Appointed to the Office of the Texas Solicitor General. Leaving in 2008, he assumed a position in private legal practice with Morgan, Lewis and Bockius LLP, as a corporate attorney.
- Ran for and won a seat in the U.S. Senate in November, 2012, where he holds positions on four committees: Committees on Armed Services, Commerce, Science and Transportation, Judiciary and Rules and Administration.
Positions on the issues:
- Cruz is a fierce critic of ObamaCare and has offered many bills to repeal the law.
- Supports free-market solutions for the health care issue.
- Wants to preserve Medicare by increasing eligibility age and would de-fund Planned Parenthood.
- Cruz has stated unemployment benefits saddle the employed with higher taxes and opposes extending assistance to the unemployed.
- Opposes raising the minimum wage.
- Against most corporate regulation, finds that excessive government control over the private sector limits job creation.
- Has said that “the data and facts don’t support” that global warming is occurring.
- Questions reliability of climate change advocates and scientists.
- Supports building a wall along the U.S.-Mexican border, would increase border police force.
- Would end Obama’s amnesty.
- Intends to grant local police authority to inquire about immigrant status.
- Opposes legal path to citizenship.
- Cruz opposes abortion, supports traditional marriage, and opposes gay marriage.
- Opposes Common Core and has stated many social and education issues should be resolved at the state level.
- Supports a balanced budget and advocates amending the Constitution to secure one.
- He wants to limit federal spending to per-capita inflation rate.
- Wants to abolish the Internal Revenue Service and replace the current tax code with a flat tax. Similarly, Cruz wants to audit the Federal Reserve.
- Cruz spearheaded efforts to prevent exceeding the debt limit.
- Wants to lower personal and corporate tax rates and wants to repeal taxes on capital gains and inheritance.
- Cruz opposes the nuclear pact with Iran.
- He supports further sanctions against Russia and supporting Ukraine.
- Cruz opposes diplomatic relations with Cuba.
- Supports a larger global leadership role for the U.S. and favors an expanded position against ISIS and in Syria.
- Opposed TPA after initially supporting it and blasted the veil of secrecy around its creation.
- At age 17, Cruz was cited for underage drinking.
Who will vote for him?
Right-wing ideologues, tax reformers, Tea Party types, opponents of abortion, gun control, and immigration.
On Russian and Chinese cyber attacks