Nasser bin Ali al-Ansi, a senior member of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAB), and the man who claimed responsibility for the planning of the attack on the French satire magazine Charlie Hebdo has been killed in a U.S. drone-strike in Yemen.
al-Ansi was killed in the port city of Mukalla on the night of April 21-22, along with his eldest son.
It was through Twitter, that Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula released the news of al-Ansi’s death.
When asked, Secretary of Defense, Ashton Carter declined to confirm whether or not al-Ansi had indeed been killed in the April 21-22 drone-strike.
“I cannot give you a specific answer on a particular strike,” Carter said. “I will say that on the general question of AQAP, we will continue to apply pressure.”
Nasser bin Ali al-Ansi came to wide public attention after he released a video in January on behalf of AQAB, where claimed that the group was responsible for organizing the attack on Charlie Hebdo in Paris which killed 17.
He called the gunmen who carried out the attack “heroes” and said that they had avenged Muslims over those who “insulted the chosen Prophets of Allah.”
Charlie Hebdo was targeted by AQAB and the gunmen for drawing images of Muhammad, which Muslims believe is blasphemous.
A similar attack took place in Garland, Texas last week at a Muhammad art contest at the Curtis Cuwell Center.
Two-gunmen opened fire at the center in that attack and injured a security guard, but were both killed by a police officer.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the Garland attack, although no direct connection has been found.[The Guardian][Photo courtesy of The Guardian]